Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/The Royale (TNG episode)
The Royale (TNG episode) was proposed for deletion. This page is an archive of the discussion about the proposed deletion. This page is no longer live. Further comments should be made on the article's talk page rather than here so that this page is preserved as an historic record. The result of the debate was keep.
This page has no potential to become encyclopedic. Wikipedia is not a general knowledge base. Wikipedia articles are neither encomia/fan pages, nor critical pans. Biographies and articles about art works are supposed to be encyclopedia articles. But of course critical analysis of art is welcome, if grounded in direct observations.
The page in question is about an episode of the television show Star Trek, The Next Generation, which, like most TNG episodes, seems to be a complete rip-off of The Twilight Zone. It is not a biography about an art work, but a mere synopsis of a Star Trek episode, and it has little potential to become encyclopedic because it was not a notable work on its own, and did not affect society in any observable way. Additionally, this article has a "Memorable quotes" section at the bottom, which is someone's opinion (one could quite easily argue that nothing from Star Trek, The Next Generation is memorable).
- Keep. Gamaliel 06:17, 27 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Keep, because this article would fit in Sci-Fi encyclopedia and there's no reason why Wikipedia can't be all sorts of different types of encyclopedias instead of just a general reference. Listing all these pages at once for the same reason wastes our time, you should have listed only one and then listed others if people agreed with you. DreamGuy 08:33, Dec 27, 2004 (UTC)
- Keep. Xezbeth 09:49, Dec 27, 2004 (UTC)
- Keep. See other episodes' votes for my reasons. Besides, this is a good episode! P Ingerson 12:45, 27 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Keep, this is well written and we have many similar articles. I don't think this even qualifies as non-notable fancruft, as it is an actual episode. Rje 14:48, 27 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Keep Bryan 16:15, 27 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Keep. On cloud nine, the angels whispered to me that one man's garbage is another man's encyclopedia article. "What was The Royale about, again? I vaguely remember that it sucked. Is there any place I could get factual, neutral information on it? Say, it underwent extensive rewrites. I didn't know that. And still it sucked. Amazing." JRM 17:30, 2004 Dec 27 (UTC)
- Hmm, tricky one. I'm going to have to vote Merge and Redirect into Star Trek The Next Generation Episodes. --fvw* 19:50, 2004 Dec 27 (UTC)
- Keep. Delete nominator for blatant and deliberate violation of Wikipedia:Deletion policy - David Gerard 22:59, 27 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Keep, personal POV over whether one would like this information to be in a small encyclopædia is irrelevant; this listing does not seem to have been made on grounds in line with policy. James F. (talk) 02:20, 28 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Delete. The web is not lacking in Star Trek episode guides. -- Walt Pohl 06:42, 28 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Keep unless there is a specific Wikipedia policy against doing so. There are other articles devoted to individual episodes of other Trek series such as Enterprise, as well as individual books in a series (see James Bond). If Wikipedia's admin wants to cast a blanket rule, that's their perogative. (Cutting and pasting for all TNG episode-related VfD, apologies for duplication) In addition, I concur with other voters that the POV statement made in the reasoning for VfD renders this one invalid, IMO. 23skidoo 04:07, 30 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Keep Dbenbenn 18:43, 30 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Keep Michael L. Kaufman 04:45, Jan 1, 2005 (UTC)
- Keep Holodoctor1 11:37, 1 Jan 2005 (UTC)
This page is now preserved as an archive of the debate and, like some other VfD subpages, is no longer 'live'. Subsequent comments on the issue, the deletion or on the decision-making process should be placed on the relevant 'live' pages. Please do not edit this page.